Sunday 20 November 2011

Visit to a Soup Kitchen





Yesterday in Bournemouth I visited a soup kitchen I had heard about from a friend. I went there with no expectations. I had tried to call and find information online, but it was all very vague and unhelpful. Having lived in Bournemouth for most of my life it was strange to suddenly find an underworld to which I had probably always chosen to 'un-see'. It was dark, crammed and intimidating- but there was also a positive atmosphere and sense of community; I noticed there was no soup being served, but sausage, mash and beans. I was approached by a lady, she put her arm around me and asked if I'd like some food, when I explained I was not there to be fed she looked at me strangely, I explained I would like to speak someone, she once again put her arm around me as if I had something distressing to talk to her about. I explained I was there for study purposes, her body language changed- she moved her arm and urged me to look around the room at how busy it was. I would need to speak to Murial (the lady in charge) she was too busy, so I went to sit in a cafe opposite and enjoyed some paid-for lunch; the atmosphere so far removed from what I had experienced. It was interesting to watch the people; some un-expected, wandering down the alley and then back with a full tummy.


I sat with my cappuccino thinking about how I might approach Murial and ask to take photos. I felt unsure as to whether I would be faced with hostility. The Lansdown Baptist Soup Kitchen has been running successfully for 20 years; although they are constantly battling with local residents, developers, town planners and a majority of the local businesses. They are not wanted here or anywhere and are now suspicious of people like me, for fear of being shut down for health and safety policies. I went back at 1.30pm, people were still grouped outside but the interior of the space looked different. A few stragglers were still in there sat down but most of the chairs and tables had been put away by the diners. Murial came and spoke to me, I told her why I was there. She looked excited at first, I think she thought my project was real! When I mentioned London and the future her face looked disappointed.


I am going back next week to work a shift. The diners were very curious about who I was, not many wanted their photo taken. I need to gain their trust, Murial said I will be able to take more photos next week, even of the tiny kitchen. I think it will be an experience. I will be the youngest voluteer, there are no young people working there. I feel this indicates something sad about my generation.



No comments:

Post a Comment